August 8, 2020Guidelines for In-Person Gathering at Alexandria Presbyterian Church
APC’s desire is to honor God in all we do—in the way we worship, the way we love one another, and the way we honor and respect our community.
We are still in the midst of an ongoing coronavirus pandemic. Therefore, APC’s Advisory Committee on Reopening (comprised of Marc Allen, Bruce Barham, Tom Holliday, Nate Kinder, Gary McGee, Eleanor Nagy, Jessica White) have been meeting to discuss and make recommendations on next steps for APC in-person gatherings. The Committee, along with the Session, believes that while Covid-19 case numbers have improved in northern Virginia since April, the rapid spread of the virus in other parts of the country and the real possibility this area might experience a second wave mean that we as a church body should take great caution in gathering in-person.
With new cases in Northern Virginia fluctuating and local area churches both reopening and reclosing, due care and caution remain priorities for any in-person gatherings. The current plan, as recommended by the Committee, is as follows:
• APC will continue with online worship on Sunday mornings as its principal worship service. Due to the potentially fluctuating nature of the pandemic, this will serve as an anchor service for our congregation. We will not be returning to large worship indoor gathering for the foreseeable future.
• We will be adding a condensed in-person Saturday evening worship service in the parking lot of the Russell Road Campus. The first service will be at 5pm on August 29. More details will be forthcoming.
• APC small in-person gatherings, such as CFGs, prayer meetings, communion and fellowship opportunities, will be offered in the early Fall. Specific guidelines on how we will conduct these gatherings will be forthcoming.
We offer the following guidelines to ensure these gatherings are conducted in such a way as to appropriately mitigate the possibility of transmitting Covid19 and wisely protect our congregation.
Recommendations for Gatherings
• All gatherings should be held outdoors.
• Attendees must wear cloth face coverings (except for toddlers/young children at parents’ discretion)
• Practice social distancing (6 feet apart)
• Nursery & Children’s Church will not be offered at this time
APC’s Advisory Committee will continue to monitor Covid-19 developments in the surrounding region and communicate with the Session regarding updates, adjustments, or other changes to these recommendations as circumstances warrant.